FIJI Recruitment Information
Why join FIJI?
Our chapter is always seeking men who share our core values. Phi Gamma Delta gives men the opportunity to meet new people, excel academically and share personal growth. Through consistent planning, active communication and persistent engagement, our chapter pursues the best of the best. Ultimately, we desire gentlemen who exemplify the ethics of a motivated students, caring leaders and respectable brothers.
Fiji’s mantra states the fraternity is “not for college days alone.” It is clear from these founding beliefs and current attitude that brotherhood is the primary aspect of embodying a FIJI gentleman. Learning to live with your brothers and becoming better through one another is a great addition, not only to the college experience, but to life as a whole.
Phi Gamma Delta is dedicated to developing men of character within the academic setting, with the aim that they will become fully contributing members of society. In pursuit of this mission, the Fraternity promotes five core values:
Every year the Iowa chapter of Phi Gamma Delta
gives out over $5,000 to outstanding
who embody our 5 values.
What are the required academic standings to be a member of Phi Gamma Delta?
To become a new member of Phi Gamma Delta, you must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher, our chapter encourages men coming to have over a 3.0/4.0 GPA and notable extracurricular involvement.
How much are dues?
The expenses of being a member in Phi Gamma Delta are slightly below the campus wide average for fraternities with a chapter structure. Upon accepting a bid, new members will be charged a one-time pledging fee of $80.00 to the international headquarters.
- Live in expense: $4,035 per semester, plus a $250 security deposit which is returned upon check out at the end of the school year, pending there are no significant damages caused by the tenant.
- Live out expense: $1,005 per semester without the meal plan, $1,965 with the meal plan.
- The expenses are paid through the university bill, in three equal payments throughout the semester. For example, a new member living out will pay three equal payments of $335 per semester.
Does Phi Gamma Delta offer any scholarships to members?
Any man who receives a GPA of 3.2 or higher during his first semester as a new member will automatically receive a scholarship of $250.
- The Fred Teverbaugh Scholarship is $5,000. It is awarded to a senior undergraduate who demonstrates leadership in chapter and campus activities, strong personal character, and academic excellence.
- The Ralph K. Amend Scholarship is $2,000. This is awarded to the most outstanding pledge in the fall pledge class. This newly initiated brother is selected by the undergraduate chapter based on academic excellence and overall achievement as a pledge in the chapter, on the campus, and throughout the community.
- The John J. Maher Scholarship is $1,500 for 1st place and $1,000 each for 2nd place and 3rd This is awarded to the brothers who achieve the most outstanding (highest) cumulative G.P.A.s amongst the undergraduate chapter. It is the cumulative G.P.A. up to and including the most recent fall term.
- The Chan F. Coulter Scholarship is $1,000 which is awarded to the brother with the most improved single semester grade point from spring to fall semester.
- The Chan F. Coulter Memorial Scholarship Dinner awards $500 each to the brothers who place 2nd through 5th for best improved semester grade point result.
- The Fred Stines’ Dean’s List Scholarship awards $300 each to the brothers who place on the University of Iowa’s dean’s list for academic achievement.
What sets our chapter apart from the others on campus?
We take pride on building our chapter the right way, with gentlemen. We strive to build successful men of character whom the chapter can take pride in calling brothers. To that end we recruit those in whom we see potential for leadership and success in academics, extracurriculars, and the Fraternity itself.
Is there any hazing in Phi Gamma Delta?
ABSOLUTELY NOT. The International Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta’s Headquarters and The University of Iowa have strict no hazing policies which we adhere closely to.
How long is the probationary member period?
The probationary member period is roughly six to eight weeks.